Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to save Yahoo emails to external hard drive

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

struggling artist

struggling artist

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Guys,
I wonder if you can help? I want to save all the old Yahoo emails which I want to keep, to an external hard drive. The emails are in different folders on my Yahoo page. I have tried dragging and dropping, copy and pasting, etc but they don't work - all that happens is a shortcut appears - a link back to the web page. My pc is about to go in for repairs and I'm trying to back up all my data, so I'd really appreciate knowing a way I can do this. I would also really like to be able to copy just the folders rather than individual files as there are a LOT of them!!
Hope you can help!
Many thanks.

Edited by struggling artist, 06 January 2010 - 07:05 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
All your emails and folders are backed up on the Yahoo server- are you trying to archive them to your old computer, and why? They will be there when you log into Yahoo with your new one.
Johanna

struggling artist

struggling artist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi Johanna,
I am trying to back-up all of my important data - and this includes some email folders. It is precautionary, in case of problems/crashes etc, just as any back-up is. There could be problems with the Yahoo server too - who knows?! As I said, I want to back-up to my external hard drive. Any info on how to do this gratefuly received!

Edited by struggling artist, 06 January 2010 - 08:55 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I am trying to back-up all of my important data - and this includes some email folders. It is precautionary, in case of problems/crashes etc, just as any back-up is. There could be problems with the Yahoo server too - who knows?! As I said, I want to back-up to my external hard drive. Any info on how to do this gratefuly received!

You don't.
All the email is kept at Yahoo's end. You don't (and you can't anyway) back Yahoo mails up to your drive in the way that you want.
You can print them out and archive them that way, or save the contents of the mail (copy and paste) but a web-based email you can't save the mails themselves.

As for "problems with the Yahoo server", Yahoo have been around since 1995, with Yahoo Mail having been around in various guises since 1996, so I very much doubt it's going anywhere soon.

Fred_Will

Fred_Will

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Yahoo has no option to export the emails directly to offline storage. Mail clients can be preferred here. Exporting the emails from the clients provides an offline copy of the Yahoo email. Moreover, you may try out a few Yahoo mail backup tools like xxxxxxxxxxxx that can automatically archive the Yahoo emails to an external drive.

ellymarget

ellymarget

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, there if you want to export your Yahoo mail to Outlook PST with attachments you need to opt a reliable solution like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxAs a tech professional, I keep on searching the best software. The best thing about this tool is that it can export Yahoo mail to Outlook PST with attachments in bulk. Also, installation of Outlook is not mandatory to export files. Yahoo Backup for Mac software becomes the one-stop solution to export Yahoo mails.

richardmiller

richardmiller

• Pip
  • 2 posts

try this software for back up your Yahoo account, I am using this software from last five day ago before this software I do not have an idea to back up so I started to search on google after analyzed many utilities, then finally I got this  software yahoo backup which suite my requirements.this tool has a simple and easy interface to use and I got the satisfied result form this software. That's the way  I suggest you try this software for back up your yahoo account if want to use this or move to other utility go ahead choose which suite you best. I am  providing the link below the post visit here for more detail:

debora32

debora32

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

There are several ways to store all your emails on your Yahoo account on your local hard drive. You can determine the basic concepts of how to protect your email.

1. Copy an email at a time, paste it into Word and save the email.
  2. Save personal emails from Yahoo email to your local drive at the same time.
  3. Use POP / IMAP settings to access your Yahoo email to other email clients such as Outlook or Thunderbird.
  4. Use another email address to forward your email to another account.
  5. You can also archive Yahoo emails on your local hard drive.
An automated solution for copying Yahoo Mail folders to disk

You can try to overcome these limitations with the Yahoo mail down loader. With this solution, you can save time and effort. You can save Yahoo emails and attachments to your hard drive and retrieve the entire mailbox on your hard drive. You won’t lose a bit of data during this process. It is easy for non-technical personnel to understand and use this tool to perform the backup process. The solution preserves the formatting of metadata and folder structures as it does in Yahoo accounts.

How do I save Yahoo emails to my hard drive?

1. Download and open Yahoo Mail Backup Tool enter your Yahoo account credentials.
  2. Choose the file format from different file formats available in the list and choose filter options.
  3. Select destination location and start “Backup”.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,863 posts

Dead thread closed to avoid any further spam posts.